Tuesday, June 9, 2009

A Lesson In Paying Attention

I may have mentioned before that both hubby and I suffer from an affliction known as "Dirty-Potty-Mouth". You may also have guessed it considering the number of swear words I use as part of descriptive phrases in posts here on this site.

It has not escaped our notice that while my son abhors swearing and will give an exasperated, "MUM! Danielle's right there," when a particularly objectionable cuss leaves my mouth, we've also realized that little children hear things. And worse? THEY REPEAT THEM.

This was made crystal clear on the weekend when darling daughter was helping me attempt to put a fitted sheet on a bed, which was not going well because it didn't fit. You know how it goes when you've got three corners tucked in and the fourth keeps popping over the top and no matter which corner you try to tug down, the opposite one lets loose at the same moment your mouth does.

She tried to hold one end down and I heard her mutter with disdain, "This is fucting useless."

My parenting skills may need a touch of improvement. Fuck.

No comments: