Thursday, April 16, 2009

Paige Hemmis: I'm Going to Kick Your Ass

I just saw an ABC interview online with Paige Hemmis, one part of the team on Extreme Home Makeover and I couldn't decide between wanting to reach through the computer screen and throttle her or laugh somewhat hysterically as she attempted to describe her bout with depression.

Most of the time, I think it's great that people are 'coming out' and acknowledging this disease which in theory helps us lesser mortals not feel as ashamed as we do; and yet it mostly seems like it's the 'disease-du-jour' and celebrities are just jumping on the bandwagon for their 15 minutes of fame.

The part that held me suspended in outrageous disbelief was when she admitted that she DIDN'T EVEN KNOW SHE WAS DEPRESSED.

As someone who's been trying to climb her way out of this soul-sucking hell-hole for years and years, I was astounded. Believe me, if you're depressed, you fucking well know it because there are days and weeks it's all you can think about.

No comments: