Friday, August 29, 2008

The lights are on...

I have no problem at all admitting that lately I'm a complete wimp when it comes to being home alone at night.

I may have mentioned my extreme fear of (shudder) bats, and even though my hubby has promised me there will be no more because he figured out how they were getting into our house, I could not fall asleep last night. Every time I started to drift off, I'd jerk awake, heart pounding through my chest, my tongue thick in my mouth, and beads of sweat trickling down the back of my neck because I heard something.

Something turned out to be the dog flapping her ears. Something turned out to be a creak in the kitchen as the house settled. Something turned out to be a nighttime sigh coming from my daughter as she lay sleeping in her room. Something turned out to be my son kicking a wayward foot against the wall in his room as he was sleeping. Something turned out to be the sound of my own breathing freaking me the hell out.

I tried to calm myself down by remembering that, so far, there was nothing flying about and at this point it was after 2:30 a.m....then I remembered that the last bat to get into the house and fly by my head to land one foot away from me arrived just after 4:00 a.m.

That little bit of information, surprisingly, DID NOT HELP ME RELAX. I finally fell into a completely fitful, toss-and-turn-non-restful sleep an hour later, complete with the phone in one hand, tennis racket in the other and the large flashlight nearby.

It seems I might be feeling a little bit cranky and sleep deprived today.

Imagine that.

No comments: