Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Summer Vacations are Supposed to be Relaxing...Aren't They?

I'm back at work after a month long vacation in which large amounts of alcohol were consumed, days were spent at the lake trying to chill out in the sun and warm water, moments here and there with my nose in a book, and hours and hours spent with two of the best kids on this planet. And yes, quite possibly I'm biased, but they ARE my children and nanny-nanny-boo-boo to you.

Having said that, I would not exactly suggest that my vacation was a relaxing one. It was more than a little bit difficult trying to figure out how to keep an almost-11-year-old and an almost-3-year-old entertained at the same time. Never before has the eight year age gap felt so much like climbing a steep mountain with no safety ropes.

"Who wants to go to a museum?" I figured this would be an activity that they could both enjoy and smart mummy that I am, they did. I, however, felt like I was trying to corral a couple of wild horses (admittedly there was a moment that I-oh-so-wished I had a whip) because this one wanted to go that way and the other was hell bent on travelling in the opposite direction. And that made me thankful I only have TWO children because I only have two arms and hands and that thought led me to my sisters. One has 3 kids, the other has 4. THREE and FOUR children. Each. I see them sometimes get impatient and sometimes voices are raised because in all honesty, how do you make yourself heard over so many voices babbling at once? But they almost always seem to have an infinite amount of patience with their children. I think I may have missed out on that gene though.

Not for the first time I've wondered how the hell they seem to keep their kids occupied with the same activity.

Not for the first time, I'll be sneaking peeks at their backs and sides and wondering where they hide their wings.

No comments: