Tuesday, February 23, 2010

File Under "Huh" - Part Deux

Meet my new best friends. Aren't they pretty?

The results of my thyroid ultrasound and bloodwork came back - turns out that I have an extremely underactive thyroid. A normal thyroid level is at a 2 or 3. Mine is at 87. (You'd think that high number would mean I have an over-active thyroid but it appears it's all about the opposite with this thing.)

Which explains the fistfuls of hair that have been showing up in my comb pre-and-post shower as well as dropping here, there, and everywhere. It also explains why I've been feeling cold constantly (I'm almost always the person who is too warm and can we please open a freakin' window already?), the dry skin, the fatigue, the lack of energy, oh and THE WEIGHT GAIN.

I have been beating myself up emotionally and mentally because I could not figure out why I haven't been able to lose weight despite a solid effort of eating healthy and exercising regularly. And now a huge surge of relief that it hasn't just been all in my head - I'm being too lazy; I'm eating poorly; I didn't work out hard enough.

My doctor said I'd start to see a difference in about a week, and then I'm doing a follow-up in a month to make sure the thyroid level is where it's supposed to be. In the meantime, I'm getting excited about waking up in the morning to take this little yellow pill because I know it's going to help me get healthier. Which means I'll have more energy for my life.

It's a good day.

1 comment:

Institute for Internet Safety said...

Oh...hope everything will be alright. Just monitor your health and follow what the doctor says. Don't forget to pray and ask for God's healing hands. Thanks for sharing!