Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Monday Morning Commute

Driving the truck to work on Monday morning, I hit black ice which led to fishtailing, which led to trying to steer out of the fishtailing, which led to the truck hitting more black ice, which led to a couple of 360's, which led to sliding across the road in a rollover, which led to the truck nose down in a ditch, which led to the back end of the truck hung up on a retaining wall made out of 4x4 wood, the driver's side window and back window blowing out, the windshield shattered and significant damage to the driver's side of the truck we bought in July, inches away from hitting a hydro pole.

A lady stopped and called 911 and another lady (Joanne) stayed with me as I went into shock. She talked and talked and talked while we waited for firefighters, paramedics and police to arrive. Someone else phoned my hubby and minutes after it happened, he was there, holding my hand and despite the fact that he is a firefighter himself who has dealt with scenes such as these, I could feel his hands shaking. It's different when it's your own, he told me later on.

I was in a fair amount of neck, head and back pain, and a firefighter climbed in the back seat of the truck to hold my head in place (his name was Robert) and he too, talked and talked and talked while a paramedic put a collar on me and firefighters cut off the driver's side door to get me out. I was laid down, in one smooth movement, strapped onto a backboard and put into the waiting ambulance.

Firefighters and paramedics told my hubby that when they pulled up and saw the truck, it didn't give them a good feeling about the state of the passenger inside. They told him that I was very, very lucky. Wearing my seatbelt saved my life.

Hubby came with me to the hospital where my favourite black turtleneck sweater was cut off so they could check for other injuries. Miraculously, I did not even have a single cut from all the flying glass. Several hours, x-rays, and a CAT-scan later, I was sent home with prescriptions for drugs, and feeling quite emotional about the whole thing, especially upon seeing my children. That is when I started to shake again, and cry, because how lucky can one person be?

Not that long ago I wrote a post about how I wished to have an accident, just a small one, to allow me time to rest.

Now I know what it means when they say, "Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So make a happy wish. "I wish for a happy, healthy family." "I wish for a husband who loves me no matter how crazy I get." "I wish for beautiful children."

"I wish for a million dollars."

That last one may be my own personal wish...

Anonymous said...

I remembered you had written something to that effect, its Karma or Murphy's Law...its something. Either way, you had an angel riding with you that day. i know it. Life is too often taken for granted, sometimes we get wake up calls.