Friday, January 8, 2010

An Interesting Thing Happened On The Way to The Grocery Store...

I never made it. I drove to the grocery store, parked the car, baby sound asleep in her carseat...and my legs went numb, familiar panic choked my lungs and throat and I started to feel dizzy. Yeah! Anxiety attack! Two thumbs up to the older couple tossing odd looks to the crazy lady crying in her station wagon, clutching at the steering wheel and trying to dial a cell phone.
Did I mention how much I'm enjoying being sleep deprived? No? IT'S FUCKING AWESOME.

On another note but a definitely related topic, to Anonymous who comments on my blog: Thank you for your encouraging words and electronic hug - it's very much appreciated. This is my third go-round with post-partum depression and you'd think it'd get easier, but it doesn't. The good news is that because I'm not having any more babies, this will be the last bout and I can go back to dealing with and trying to manage the regular-drag-my-ass-out-of-bed-day-to-day-depression instead! You know, until peri-menopause and menopause begins.

Honestly though, hubby knows what's going on and he's been incredibly supportive and doing what he can to help and that includes talking to the kids and asking them to "help Mummy a bit more". (The 4-year-old's vicious temper tantrums are a huge energy drain and when you're running on empty but trying to squeeze out a touch more patience it is frustrating. Sort of like when you knock a glass over, stand it back up, only to immediately knock it over again. And again. And again. And then you grab the glass and throw it against the wall to teach it a lesson. Except that, obviously, my daughter isn't a glass and I would never do anything to physically harm her, so in this particular situation, she's temporarily lost the brand new toys Santa brought her and she will get them back one at a time for each day she behaves like a tiny human being instead of Satan's evil-doer frothing at the mouth.)

My mum and dad also know because I've told them, but I haven't specifically told my sisters, brother or any friends - I sort of think they've all got enough of their own stuff going on and I don't want to bother them - not that my parents also don't, but it's just different - they're my parents.

As I look over at the beautiful sleeping girl (who as of yesterday, by the way, weighs 12 lbs, 8.5 oz.) I realize that now just might be an opportune time to try and have a nap. Not an easy task for someone who is, admittedly, not a napper, but I'm going to try.

And that's the word for today.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Obviously, your sense of homour is not affected by the post-partum depression and-or regular kick-your-ass-out-of-bed depression.

You seem to have all it takes, family, friends, supportive partner, etc......it's not easy being a mommyinthemodernworld. The hormones will level off, the 13pound baby will sleep, the 4 year-old will stop having tantrums, the kids will help mommy more.
I can't even remember how I came across your blog, but you should read Three Ring Circus' blog, it will help put things in perpective.
Keep smiling......try to have that well-needed nap.

Barbara said...

You have told one sister...me! And whoever Anonymous is, he or she is correct...this too shall pass...maybe like a kidney stone (searing, agonizing pain ;)), but it will pass...

And no matter what's going on in my own life, I always have time to be a part of yours...

Stay golden, Ponyboy...

Love,
me...

.............. said...

You will prevail!
Good luck with everything.

5lilbugs said...

I am new here and to blogging in general, just came across your blog, which is all true and humorous. We seem to have a lot in common! LOL thank you for sharing it's always nice to know your not alone.

wichiepoo said...

I don't know if this will help or not but it's worth a try. I don't think I went through post-partum depression, was a long time ago (16 years),but I have gone through a major depression a few years back.

I still sometimes have a hard time dealing with my feelings, but have found little tricks to help me through rough times.

Everyone has a few "feel good songs" in their repertoir. Example: On my "feel good" play list on my iPod, you can find "Can't get enough of your love baby" by Barry White, and "Groove is in the heart" by Dee Lite and a couple more. These songs, take me to my happy place, if I am alone, I start dancing... If I begin feeling a little agressive at work, I just pop a headphone in my ear and play them... calms me down.

It's worth a try, seriously, for me it really helps!!!

Get some rest too, if you can...

Courage, *huggles*

Institute for Internet Safety said...

I don't know what to say, I mean I never experience like that. It's quite scary :( Glad that you're okay and overcame it. Take care & thanks for posting!